The team behind WordPress have launched their latest version on the 24th May 2022, WordPress 6.0 Arturo. Did you know that the WordPress code name is derived from the name of a jazz musician? The previous three updates were called WordPress 5.9 Joséphine (in honour of the acclaimed jazz singer (and life long civil rights campaigner) Joséphine Baker). WordPress 5.8 Tatum (Code name Tatum, after Art Tatum) and WordPress 5.7 Esperanza (Code name Esperanza after Esperanza Spalding).
The latest instalment Arturo has been named in honour of the Grammy-winning jazz musician, Arturo O’Farrill. Known for his influence on contemporary Latin jazz. You can now download WordPress 6.0, and it comes with a host of new features:
- Improvements to Full Site Editing
- Effortlessly Switch Theme Styles
- Export Your WordPress Block Theme
- New Blocks in Block Theme Editor – WordPress 6.0 will introduce the following new blocks that you can use in your theme and templates.
- Read More
- No results in Query loop
- Post Author Biography
- Block Editor Changes in WordPress 6.0
- Featured Image in Cover Block
- Easier Text Selection in Multiple Blocks
- Lock Reusable Blocks
- Responsive Group and Row Blocks
- Miscellaneous Block Editor Enhancements
- Border for Columns Block
- Spacing for Gallery Images
- Quick Shortcut to Add Internal Links
- Select Multiple Blocks in List View
- Accessibility Improvements in WordPress 6.0 – an example of this includes: Search announcement in block search.
- Under The Hood Changes – an example of this includes: Improved sticky post query and also an API to prevent blocks from appearing on Widgets screen.
With these new features, website owners, contributors and developers can take their site to the next level.
If you’re a client of our managed software updates service, you’ll have your site updated by one of our team shortly, alongside a proper manual check that the site is running OK afterwards. We’ll let you know if you need to update any plugins, themes, or bespoke code to work with the new version.
If you’re using an automatic update service, your site might have updated already or will do soon. Please check your site thoroughly to make sure that everything is still working OK; a version update like this might have a knock-on effect on plugins, themes, or bespoke code.
If you carry out updates yourself, be sure to read all the release notes and any information published by plugin/theme authors about knock-on effects. It’s recommended that you update your WordPress installation as soon as possible wherever your templates, plugins and any custom code allow. Take a backup and be sure that everything will be compatible before you update, and make sure that any custom code is transferred to your new installation where needed.
Pro WP hosting for WP pros:
If you’re looking to supercharge your WordPress hosting, look at our feature-rich plans designed for hosting WP sites. Whether you’re a business owner or agency, there’s a plan for you.
In order to run WordPress 6.0 Arturo the following requirements are recommended:
- PHP 7.4 or higher
- MySQL 5.6 or higher, or MariaDB 10.1 or higher
- Nginx or Apache
If you have any further questions regarding WordPress 6.0 Arturo then contact Enbecom today.